Tuesday, October 1, 2013

The Land of Enchantment



My return to la tierra de encanta is necessarily a brief one, but I have, once again, been enchanted.  From the first time I came here for a visit, I fell in love with New Mexico.

The drive back here was epic, filled with fun and visits with friends and was the most perfect driving of any long road trip I've ever attempted.  Nearly no construction, no major traffic hassles, no bad weather.

As I headed from Kansas City, MO to Denver, it was overcast and rainy, but the mountains were, nonetheless, a sight for sore eyes.  But, coming south into NM, then turning off from I-25 toward our home in the east mountains outside Albuquerque was so scenic and beautiful that it almost literally took my breath away.  The sky was cloudless and blue and the incredible amounts of rain received this summer during monsoon season had everything so green that it boggled the mind.

Since arriving, I've been running (so, so hard with the elevation and steep hills!) and hiking nearly every day.  The hiking has been amazing.  The mountains are LUSH.  In fact...maybe a bit TOO lush.  Today, while the Rickster and I were hiking, it was actually warm and windless.  So, the flies made their presence known.  By hovering about our faces, attempting to nestle in my eyeballs and up my nose.  As I hike with trekking poles (handmade from sotol by the Rickster) I couldn't easily bat them away.  It must be what horses feel like.  It was AWFUL.  But, still not enough to diminish the joy and the beauty of the hike.



Another cool thing about my return is the timing.  Turns out that Breaking Bad's finale was this past Sunday.  The days leading up have been some fun ones here in the environs surrounding the Burque.  Lots of donuts with blue crystal sugar on them, lots of parties where people dress as their favorite character.  And, I've noticed a LOT of older model RVs.  I've always assumed they were the white trash/east mountain version of a guest room, but now I wonder!
Too soon, it will be time to return to FL, but for now, I'm going to enjoy the mountains, the cool mornings and maybe, before we leave...snow?

2 comments:

  1. Sounds so amazing you make me want to add New Mexico to my "must see" list! Enjoy it!

    ReplyDelete