Monday, October 28, 2013

Gee...I can't *imagine* why you're alone...

It's amusing to me.

I have at least half a dozen  female friends and/or acquaintances who qualify as model level beautiful with perfect or near perfect bodies.  All but one of them are with guys who are, let us say, average looking.  And they are deliriously happy.  Probably because their criteria for choosing a mate had little if anything to do with physical appearance.  And, they've all chosen men who realize that they are far more than how they look.

And yet?  I know at least a couple of guys who rank in the "average looking" category (in one case this is actually being gracious) who have had their hearts ripped out by beautiful little hard-bodies and yet?  Their major criterion for a mate is that she is hot.

Huh.  And you can't find love?  Imagine that.

I suppose it could have something to do with the truth that lies in the humorous picture attached here.  Many women who are gorgeous by any objective standard don't see it in themselves.  They see their perceived flaws instead.  Whereas there are a surprising number of men who see themselves as a real catch when, in fact, they may bear a striking resemblance to a Jimmy Carter caricature.

I'm not so hypocritical as to try to pretend that physical attractiveness is completely unimportant.  But, it seems to me that if someone can't get past physical appearance, they are likely to miss out.

My husband, I think, is a pretty good lookin' dude.  After nearly 20 years together, I still get hot for him.  I still get occasional butterflies.

But, it didn't start out that way.  I was not physically attracted to him at the beginning (we began as platonic friends).  And, I wasn't looking for a relationship with him.  I've always assumed that because I'm overweight that he had a similar experience of developing sexual attraction as we got to know one another.  Oddly, I learned only recently that -- as he so romantically put it -- he "wanted to nail" me pretty much from the beginning.   But, he had also made an active decision, after years of chasing an image, to seek out substance.  Lucky for me.  I'm pretty substantial...heh...

I just wonder how it is that some guys -- and these are nice guys, not jerks, generally -- can be so short-sighted as to make physical appearance their number one priority in a mate.

And it makes me kinda sad for them.

1 comment: