Sunday, July 14, 2013

Zimmerman -- yeah, I'm going there

First, let me state my position on the whole thing.  I, apparently, don't really agree with anyone, entirely.  This case so quickly became about perception and politics that facts became secondary, even tertiary.  But, here they are, as I see them:


Zimmerman is a guy who wanted to feel like a badass, who is kind of a "soft, weak" (in the words of his MMA trainer) dolt who wanted to feel like a tough guy.  I think he was over zealous in his self appointed role of neighborhood Barney Fife.  I think he saw this kid, looking like a thug, walking through the neighborhood and decided to "roust" him. 

Whether Trayvon was up to shenanigans in that neighborhood is questionable.  Despite the fact that the picture that the news ran with initially was a sweet faced 12 year old, the stuff revealed from Trayvon's facebook page showed a man grown.  He was 17.  Not 12.  He was clearly more than a physical match for Zimmerman.  He did not deserve to be killed that night.

What happened?  Zimmerman followed Martin and Martin put a beatdown on Zimmerman. 

The trigger -- so to speak -- to the whole thing was Zimmerman's decision to follow Martin, despite being instructed not to.  That decision, as well as the decision to carry the gun with a round chambered and the safety off, caused the death of Trayvon Martin.  Did he have a right to carry a gun?  Yes.  But, rights come with responsibilities, and Zimmerman didn't act responsibly.

I don't think Zimmerman was guilty of murder and should never have been charged with it.  He, however, was absolutely guilty of manslaughter.  His acquittal is surprising to me, honestly.  When presented with an opportunity to convict on an appropriate charge, they still acquitted him.

I hate that this became so racialize and politicized.

This was NEVER a black/white thing.  Did Zimmerman "racially profile" Martin?  Probably, although, if Martin was wearing a hoodie, I think it at least possible that Martin didn't initally know his race.  But...Zimmerman, despite his Aryan name, is not white.  He's hispanic.  He's as hispanic as the president is black.

Race was not the issue here.  Zimmerman was a jackass no matter what his or Martin's race were.

And?  The president had no business commenting.  None. When Nixon commented on the Manson trial he was lambasted--appropriately-- for potentially affecting the outcome.  The president helped to make this case into yet another way for our country to be divided by race.

I despair that it will ever get better because there are too many people, on both sides, invested in keeping racial hatred stirred up.

But -- from here, I'm going to focus on the happy feeling I got when I read a couple of exchanges on twitter this morning that were insightful, intelligent and reasonable, even in debate, on this topic.

I'm going to hope that it's true that the change starts with me. 

No comments:

Post a Comment