Monday, July 15, 2013

Where there's smoke...

Are You a Closet Smoker Nurse? Don’t Apply for a New Job

Now, much as I abhor cigarette smoke -- hate having to hit my own albuterol inhaler every time I have to take care of a respiratory distress patient whose clothes are so smokey that the smell absolutely overwhelms the treatment room, and as much a I deeply resent coworkers who take multiple smoke breaks during their shift while I have a bladder that is about to explode because I can't even find time to pee -- this is ridiculous.

What someone does in their own home remains their own business.

And, what's next?  No overweight nurses?  I'm overweight.  It's a daily struggle for me.  But if a hospital (or any employer) is allowed to dictate that you may not smoke on your own time "in your own interest" what's to stop them putting BMI requirements on new hires?

Then putting GPS trackers on your car to ensure you never drive too fast.

24 hour video surveillance to ensure you wear sunscreen?

I am sick unto death of the micromanagement of every aspect of our lives.

If a nurse is competent, reliable, honest and hard-working and breaking no laws, how is that not enough?

No comments:

Post a Comment