Sunday, November 2, 2014

Nurse Bananahammock goes to Washington....for real this time. Day One.

Too much was shoved into my few days in DC, so the rest of the trip will be relayed in future posts.    


When I was a kid, my class in Jr. High school went to Washington, DC.  In the vein of walking to school in the snow, uphill, both ways, barefooted...we were too poor for me to go.

So, being in Baltimore this past summer was the perfect time because it was only about an hour away.

I was so excited to do this as an adult, solo.  I'm a complete history nerd and I love zoos, so I had this trip planned to a T.  I booked a room at a nice (though not crazy expensive) hotel that was right in downtown DC only about half a dozen blocks from the White House.

The evening I arrived, I just settled in and had a nice dinner at a cafe with sidewalk seating where I was able to take Cookie and we just people watched and I had the most amazing dates wrapped in bacon.

Before heading to bed, I ordered my room service breakfast for in the morning.  Before it arrived, I took a  dawn walk with Cookie.  Just a few blocks away, I happened to realize I was looking at the sun coming up behind the Capitol Building.  I was awed.






The plan for the rest of the day was to go figure out the Metro to get to the National Zoo.  Now, it is no secret that I am not a fan of tax funded, well, most things, generally.   But I do feel that there is a time and place for taxes.  Folks, this is one of them.  What a beautiful, beautiful zoo.  It almost made me happy to pay taxes.  Almost.




I always feel oddly proprietary about Wyland paintings


It was huge and well managed and unlike the San Diego Zoo that goes on and on about their pandas and then make you stand in line for hours for a glimpse before being rushed on, at the National Zoo, there are several aspects from which you can watch and you could park yourself and sit for hours if you want.  Just wonderful.

That evening, I had arranged a guided walking tour of the monuments on the mall.

This was, for so many reasons, one of the highlights of my trip.


Among the reasons was this guy ^ Dan.  Our guide.  He was so peppy, and knowledgeable and just a load of fun.  He spoke at the speed of a farm equipment auctioneer, but his obvious love of the city and the history just brought it to life.  And, seeing all the sights as the sun was setting was every bit as beautiful as I'd imagined.

 



The final stop of our tour was the Lincoln Memorial.

                                                                                                      

I wish I'd had a better camera to catch a shot of the stone that shows the spot where Rev. King gave his "I have a dream" speech.  That was so moving.  I stood there contemplating the meaning of having the image of the writer of the Emancipation Proclamation looking on as Dr. King changed the world with his words.

I also thought about how much my life has changed from the kid whose family couldn't afford to send me to DC on a school trip to being able to go to DC and really enjoy all it has to offer without worrying whether I can make the mortgage payment.

People can say what they like, but regardless of what this country gets wrong, it really still is a place where hard work and perseverance can lift anyone up.

Yup.  I'm a flag-waving American and I'm ok with that.


No comments:

Post a Comment