Sunday, March 16, 2014

I can't go on...I'll go on...



First, nerd points if you get the title.

So, my training for this race started great, then in the last few weeks sort of...dropped off. 

I felt it, but still felt strong.  And, I felt pretty confident that I could post a respectable time, but held no hope for a PR.  Gorgeous morning at the start that became a glorious, sunny day.  I saw all my usual running pals as they lapped me and we heartily greeted each other.

The run out and across the Sarasota Bridge, around St Armand's Circle and back over the bridge went really well.  At St Armand's, one of my running friends caught up with and passed me, but we had a minute or two to say howdy and commiserate.  Then, someone passing me on the right almost tripped both of us, but managed to just halfway pull of my right hobbit foot.  I never got it properly back in place.  That happened at ~mile 5.  By mile 7, the irritation from not being able to get my shoe back on appropriately had begun to be really painful. I knew I wasn't far from my car and, for the first time ever, I considered taking the DNF and just heading out.

But, then I realized I really wanted the cool metal and, also, I knew lots of folks who ran with blisters.  I tried to keep doing my intervals, but the impact was just agonizing.  By walking, I could manage my foot placement better and keep it from rubbing so badly, so shortly after mile 7, I just walked.  By mile 9, I was able to pick up my pace walking, though, and decided to just enjoy it.

Also, by mile 9, we were in a gorgeous neighborhood with views of Sarasota Bay and lots of shade (it was nearing 80F by then).  I found I was really glad I'd stuck it out.

At mile 11, the time clock showed "2:47" and I thought, "Damn.  Last time I did this race, I was finished by this time."  And felt pretty defeated.

Then, at about mile 12, there was volunteer cleaning up cups who had been shouting cheers to the folks ahead of me.  As I passed him, he shouted, "Hey!  You're a nurse!  You took care of me!"  I smiled and asked, "Yeah?  Did I take good care of you?"  He answered, "Yeah, real good!  Thanks!  Keep going, you're almost finished!"

That?  That made it worth it for me. 

It was a great race.

No comments:

Post a Comment