Sunday, November 24, 2013

Just how attached ARE you to your scrotum?

That's what I wanted to ask the pissy little medic today.

Now, lemme start by saying that I love medics and respect them.  Respect?  Goes both ways.  And, in some situations, in more than 2 directions.

So, here's what happened...

I just happened to be caught up, so went in to help another nurse who was getting an ambulance patient.  Cute little old lady.  I was "doing bedside" (getting patient undressed, into a hospital gown, getting vital signs, hooking up the patient to monitoring equipment) while the primary nurse took report from the medics. One of the medics was still in the room with me and the patient, re-organizing their stretcher and equipment.  The other stepped outside the room to give report.  I closed the door behind him and started to disrobe the patient.  Just as I'd taken off her top and her floppy little old lady boobs were exposed to the world, he -- without knocking -- opened the door wide, left it open and walked into the room.

I said, "could you please close the door?"

His response, the one that practically begged me to slice his dangly bits off with my trauma shears?  "I will, calm down."

Really?

"Calm down"?

Me: "Oh, I'm calm.  But, my patient is naked.  Close the door."

He did.

I finished as quickly as I could with getting the patient settled in and then bee-lined for the ambulance bay to set junior straight.

When I got to the bay, he was talking to his partner, so I waited for him to finish, because I'm considerate like that.  Then?  Feeling my anger mount as I opened my mouth, I said,

"Two things:

First?  The absolutely fastest way to piss off someone who didn't start out pissed off is to say 'calm down'.

Second?  If that was YOUR grandma in there --"

(he cut me off with something that sounded like Charlie Brown adults taking)

"No!  Listen.  If that was YOUR grandma in there and you saw someone treat her with such indignity you'd be pissed."

"Look, I was just trying to...look, my bad, ok --"

(he started to say a "but", but I cut him off)

"Right.  Your bad.  That's what I was getting at."

And I walked away.

There was no justification for his complete lack of consideration for this patient.  I hope he gets that THAT was the issue.

I cannot abide when healthcare workers begin to treat their patients as cargo.  That's a person, jackhole!  Perhaps, you could find it within yourself to remember that and to treat her as such.

/rant over.

2 comments:

  1. We were just talking about this at work the other day. I had someone explain to me that a patient was non verbal and that me explaining everything I was doing for them was pointless… umm not so much. Just because they are non verbal doesn't mean they don't understand spoken words asshat. I hate when people forget that their pts are people too. Good for you! Maybe next time junior will think twice!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooh, snap. You handled that way better than I would have. Gah, my neck got red just reading this. Aserhole.

    ReplyDelete