Tuesday, August 6, 2013

It does get better, eventually

Pop nearly visible, AA's bruises definitely visible
The Auburn Amazon is headed home.  Just dropped her at the airport.  We did imbibe here and there, but rather than the raucous, party-like-rockstars get together we imagined, it ended up being a pretty mellow, relaxing visit.

She was thoroughly exhausted from having to defend her Master's thesis, then pack up and move a couple states west and then make her way here for a conference in my state a couple hours away.  So, by the time I picked her up, she was beat.  And, I'm emotionally a bit fragile right now so wasn't truly in party mode (though I tried to be). 

So, we took it very easy, she got to see some local sights, I kicked her ass at mini-golf (don't judge, it's fun!  No matter WHAT Stretch says), I made my own take on the famous Rickaritas and we kicked back here in my digs for one night before heading south a smidge.  There, we had lunch at a great restaurant and had a pitcher o'mojitos, then lounged poolside (where, AA tried to get some color other than the black and blue she's sporting from moving) then enjoyed a very laid back sunset booze cruise, watched dolphins and laughed at a group of seasoned citizens as they got toasted, moved about in what we believe was supposed to be dancing and took side bets on who would break a hip. 

This morning, we both woke and had a very nice breakfast and then picked up my pups from the kennel and wandered around my Preserve for a bit, taking a few pics and trying not to die from heat exhaustion before returning to my digs where I attempted to introduce her to some fine 90s TV shows (NYPD Blue and the Sopranos).  Having been in grade school in the early 90s, I don't think AA truly appreciated either, but she did a good job of humoring me.

In the midst of all the fun, I fairly successfully avoided moping about and missing Pop.  Working a lot of shifts coming up, then Stretch will be here and I will be reminded that one can move on from loss.  Stretch lost a child.  I can't imagine anything worse than that.  And yet, she soldiers on and lives.  And she does it well.  And, so, I will endeavor to do.  I can miss Pop and remember him, I don't have to hold on to the pain the way I have.  It doesn't minimize the place he held in my life or the impact he had in the world to continue to live my life as best I can. 

In fact, I honor him by living the best life I can.  

On the day of his funeral, now 3 years ago, I ran the Canes Classic 5k.  Because of travel assignments, I haven't been able to run it the last 2 years.  But, I signed up for it today.  I'll run it thinking of him.

1 comment:

  1. ((Mel)) Its okay to miss Pop and even better to live on and honor him.

    Pitcher o' Mojitos sounds lovely! Looks like you had a great visit!

    ReplyDelete