Monday, April 21, 2014

To tell the truth...

I believe that political correctness can be a form of linguistic fascism, and it sends shivers down the spine of my generation who went to war against fascism.


I don't ever say or do anything with the intent of hurting anyone.  And, I don't feel good knowing that, despite that, I have said and done things that hurt people.

And I will again.

Know why?  Because I place a very, very high premium on truth.  And, sometimes?  The truth hurts. 

Now, I agree that there are times that the way I speak the truth could, possibly, be approached in a softer, more gentle way.  But...I'm not a confectioner.  To me, it's just so much simpler to start with the bare, ugly facts and work outward from there.

Not everyone can handle that, I get that.  So, I'm not everyone's cup of tea.  And that's ok. 

When I blog or write on facebook, I use shortcuts to identify individuals without actually identifying them.  Sometimes that means using terminology that irks folks.  If I'm referencing someone who daily uses drugs of whatever sort and who will resort to thievery and deception to get those drugs, I will probably call them a junkie.  Or a druggie.  I am fully aware that the people I'm labeling are people.  I have not negated or ignored their essential humanity.

But, if it walks like a duck, quacks like a duck and shits like a duck?  I'm gonna go ahead and call it a duck.  I will not take the time to call it  a Waddling, Flat-billed American.

If someone were to try to describe me and said, "You know, the loud, fat chick wearing teal"...it would be an accurate descriptor and would not, in the least, offend or hurt me.

I mention all of this because I got a random message from someone who took offense to me calling someone a junkie and said, "It's a disease, just like that teal ribbon on your facebook wall". 

Ok, I'll bite, being a junkie has an element of disease.  But it's comparable to alcoholism, or obesity.  NOT to ovarian cancer.  Get that straight.

I am fully aware that it truly is by luck of the draw that I am not a junkie or an alcoholic.  And I fight obesity every single day.  I know how hard it is.  Maybe even harder for obesity because, while I would be able to live my entire life without ever going near drugs or alcohol, I couldn't live more than a few weeks without food.  It's something I have to be able to deal with.

Only I am responsible for my weight.  100%.  It's harder for me than it may be for others, but it IS possible for me to eat right and work out and get my weight under control.  I recognize that it's the same for those addicted to alcohol and drugs. 

But do not, for one millisecond, equate diseases of choice with a disease like ovarian cancer.

There is not a single choice that my friend ever made that caused her to have ovarian cancer.  And she fought it with all that she had for as long as she could.

Also, when calling someone out for being insentive?  Terms like, "You friggin' hypocrite" come off sounding, oh, I don't know, a little friggin' hypocritical. 

No comments:

Post a Comment