Monday, September 2, 2013

Labor Day



I grew up loving Jerry Lewis and getting to stay up for his nationally televised telethon was a big thrill when I was a kid.  How many times did we try to spot Pop on the local cutaways, hoping he was answering phones rather than stuffing envelopes?  Then, after age 13 or 14, I was allowed to volunteer as well. They were always great experiences and there was a real sense of triumph when the previous years' total was exceeded. 

(btw, if you didn't know, MDA is still a great organization that has very low overhead so that nearly all of the money raised goes directly to research and treatment and helping people and families of people who have any of over 40 neuromuscular diseases. Learn more and give here)

That and the WEBN fireworks.  That was always Labor Day.

For us, on the "Kentucky side" of the Ohio River, back in the day, that meant sitting on either our roof (we lived only a few blocks from the river) or on a grassy flood wall, being eaten alive by chiggers to watch the amazing fireworks display.

Some of the friends I made volunteering for the MDA Telethon and then for MDA camp remain some of my closest friends.  But, I haven't lived in Cincy for years and have only gotten back once...10 years ago?....to see the fireworks.
(photo by David Schwier)

But, I've sort of created a new tradition.  And, I promise that this will be the last sad "Pop" post...well, for a while at least...

Labor Day 2010 was the day of Pop's funeral.  I remember thinking how entirely appropriate that was. 

When making the funeral arrangement, I did realize that I had already signed up, weeks before, for a local 5k race.  I briefly considered skipping it, but then what?  I'd have sat home alone going crazy.

Running it that day was sort of healing.  Got me in a much more healthy frame of mind to face the funeral later in the day.

I'll be running that same race this morning.

It's probably going to be slow.  I've refound a few pounds since then.  That was my lowest weight since high school.  But, I'm still running, such as it is.  I'll be thinking of Pop, of course, while I do this race, but it will be different than the mind-numbing grief of that morning. I intend to focus on the joy and the feeling of strength and accomplishment.  It's a beautiful cross country course that twists and turns through a lot of lush greenery.  I'm really looking forward to it. 

ADDENDUM:



Short race report: LABOR day is appropriate, because it was laborious.  I started fairly strong but halfway through felt my half-assed training.  Slow finish, one of my slowest 5ks ever.  But, I did ride my bike there and back so it's been an active morning.  Still, this was a wake-up call.  I need to get serious about training.  I have a half marathon to run at 5000 feet elevation in about 7 weeks. 

So, it was hot, I was sweaty and fat and slow.  But, I finished, and I actually did push myself (until the last mile when I had *nothing* left) and I will feel good about that and take that fat, sweaty, slow feeling with me to make me keep up with training and eating right.

On the bike ride there, I was awed by the beautiful, billowing clouds with the pink cast from the sunrise highlighting them.  On the ride home, those same clouds had turned into ominous, gray storm clouds.  I didn't quite beat the storm home.  But, at least there was no lightning or thunder.

So, all in all, it was still a great start to my day.



No comments:

Post a Comment